Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Split Turkey Breasts

Jenny-O packages these things called split turkey breasts. Val makes them all the time. I find recipes for them and then can't find the breasts or I find the breast and then remember I had turkey for lunch. But yesterday, in a Sedona/vortex-worthy bit of serendipity, I had not had turkey recently and found a split turkey breast. I was going to call Val for a recipe but instead looked up her nemesis, Rachel Ray. Rachel had a good idea that involved a food-processor and some onion and lemon but I hate to get more dishes than I have to dirty. Also. I had no lemon. So I put Max in the sling and made a recipe that had none of the ingredients of the Rachel Ray recipe but some of the style.
Under the skin of the turkey breast I slid a mixture of very finely chopped (no food processor here) onions, thyme, celery salt (I'm on a big celery salt kick), butter, gray salt (feeling fancy with the salt) and a little garlic powder (feeling lazy with the garlic.)
I cooked the breast at 400 degrees for about an hour. Erik basted it once with butter melted with a bay leaf in it.
Rachel wanted me to make a sauce of apple cider, apple eau de vie (Out. See broke.) Instead, I made a brown roux with chicken broth and a little apple juice and sherry. Too sweet. But OK.
Also. Mashed potatoes were involved. I like to make mashed potatoes with every new recipe on the off chance something goes wrong with the experiment. At least we won't starve. We also had broccoli. Because we always have broccoli.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like various eaux de vie should be staples in my household, but they're not.

    Also, I just want to say that I endorse your plan of having mashed potatoes and broccoli, since those two foods alone would save a lot of disasters.

    Your dinner sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete